Friday, November 13, 2009

A Reminder About Using Wifi On The Road

I while back I performed a test using my AirPcap NX on an airplane that was offering GoGo inFlight service. I sampled about 3 minutes of traffic in Wireshark and parsed it using a tool called "Network Miner".

Short story, I saw that people were using Facebook and in two cases could connect photographs I captured to people on the Airplane. Others were booking Hotels for their business trips (persumably), and some were login into places that revealed passwords because they did not first establish a secure tunnel. That as far as I went with the test, the point was made.

I got to thinking abut how many mobile devices such as Cell phones come with WiFi connectivity. Perhaps to save on data costs, they could be set to automatically switch to Wifi when a network is available. This means a cell phone that is normally extremely difficult to breach, would be placed on an unsecured network and become susceptible to sniffing, MiTM attacks, and the whole gamut. Why on earth would anyone want to do that? Buy an unlimited data plan and turn WiFi off.

Keep in mind that public wifi is still public wifi, even when you are using a phone instead of a laptop. The Airplane technology mostly wants you to stay on the gateway long enough to give up a credit card and pay the $10, after that, you are one your own unless they change the technology.